Monday, August 22, 2011

First Day of School + Hurricane?????

Well, Cam had his first day of school today. I know he was a little nervous, but also excited. It is a large school, well over 800 students in middle school. He is now on a scheduled day. He will have Spanish which he is looking forward to. He is also looking forward to gym tomorrow. Even though he didn't have a schedule last night for the open house, we actually met his homeroom and science teacher, Mr. Williams. The school is multiculturally diverse and that is something he is not accustomed to coming from Spring Grove. He doesn't eat lunch until 1 pm and that is a long time for him. He was starving when he came home from school today, because he didn't know where to pick up all of his lunch so he only had chicken nuggets and french fries. He told me he wants to get a Guy Harvey t-shirt because many of the kids are wearing them.

My first day with the registration of students went well. I was a greeter at the front door and then I helped take money and write receipts. We had over 30 students register today and take the test to determine their placement. They can also register Tues. and Wed. After that I worked in my office and learned about the Adept program. Since I am a first year teacher in SC I must go through the mentoring program and write a plan and goals, etc.

Harry made a great dinner - baked enchiladas and rice. Then Cam wanted to go to the beach so we went and played bocci ball and Harry and Cam went for a swim. I need to remember to take my camera wherever I go. Someone had built a shark out of sand. It would have been neat to get pictures. Now we are getting ready to play golf (the card game).

We also have been following the information about the hurricane Irene and actually printed out a list of what supplies we should have on hand. Hmmm....something new to deal with.


1 comment:

  1. Here's hoping Irene leaves you alone.--Kevin

    ReplyDelete