Saturday, September 3, 2011

Labor Day Weekend

I think we are off to a good start for the school year.

Cameron is getting adjusted. He likes his teachers and classes. The only thing he doesn't like is the cafeteria lunches, but they seem to be getting better. They had been running out of food and that was really annoying him. He is in the band at school. He also joined the City of Myrtle Beach Marlins swim team which practices at the Pepper Geddings Recreation Center (which is the building right beside the one where I work). He can walk to PG right after school for his swim practice since there is a group that walks from the middle school to the Center for after school care. He got the phone numbers of two kids in his class and one is coming this afternoon to visit. One kid is from NYC and the other kid from Orlando, FL--so they are both new to the area also. Cameron is continuing with surf clinic lessons on Saturday mornings at 8 am. I'm told they continue into October or as long as the water is warm enough. He had a great morning today at surf clinic and caught many waves and rode them in.

This week was the first class week for students in the adult education program. Last week they did testing to determine their placement. I have been getting the computer lab ready to go and learning many new software programs and how the system works at HCS (Horry County Schools). I'm also working on writing curriculum for a fast track GED writing class and a computer literacy class. Plus the AE (Adult Education) program is planning a conference, TLC (Technology Literacy Conference) at the Beach. It will be held the end of March, 2012. For more details, go to www.edtheturtle.com and click on TLC at the Beach.

I now have two relatives working at West York Area High School--my sister, Judy, in the cafeteria, and my sister-in-law, Kate in Alternative Education. Say hi to them when you see them.

Harry was in PA for a couple of days, but today he and my nephew, John, arrived with a 16 foot truck of stuff. So, we will have fun trying to figure out where to go with it. If we can't use it, I think the school where I work will be able to use it. Harry will take John home on Monday. I'm not sure how long Harry will be in PA. I know he has a job to finish and he wants to work on 110 Pine Springs Boulevard. If you know of anyone looking to buy or rent, let us know.

This afternoon I am taking Cameron and his friend to the beach. Tonight we are going to see the MB Pelicans (the local baseball team). It is bobble head night. I think tomorrow we are going to Boogie and Barbeque at the Beach (at MB Commons). Of course, in between all this we have to unload a truck.

So, it should be a busy weekend.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are all settling into things and enjoying your new life. So happy it is all working out for you.

    Now about that truckload! lol Don't you wonder how you accumulate so much stuff? I take bags to goodwill all the time and yet it still seems like we have a houseful. I swear it multiplies!

    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear all is well. We survived the first week back - lots of relaxing to do this weekend!

    -sue

    ReplyDelete